The Carbon Sense Coalition accused politicians of crying crocodile tears about rising electricity prices.
The Chairman of Carbon Sense, Mr Viv Forbes, said that current policies are designed to make coal fired electricity more expensive and they also force people to pay for more expensive options such as wind and solar power.
Climate alarmists want to ration carbon fuels such as coal, oil and gas to reduce the production of the harmless invisible gas, carbon dioxide. This is supposed to make the climate cooler, stabilise sea levels, prevent bad weather, save polar bears and win the election.
Coal produces 75% of Australia’s electricity. Another 15% comes from gas & oil/diesel – a total of 90% from demonised carbon fuels.
To force people to use less carbon fuels, politicians have passed a mess of laws whose purpose is to make carbon-fuelled electricity prohibitively expensive
Cartoon by Paul Zanetti
These policies have succeeded dramatically. Carbon taxes, renewable targets, market mandates, cross subsidies and costly red tape have made all electricity more expensive. They even legislated higher feed-in prices for electricity from domestic solar panels. And they now push smart meters so they can charge consumers even more for electricity when they need it most – during peak hours.
But there has been no effect on global emissions – we pay more for nothing.
Now politicians weep crocodile tears. They caused the high electricity prices but now discover that consumers don’t like it. When they are forced to admit it was another ghastly mistake, the solution is obvious: scrap all the costly and pointless laws that are increasing the price of our electricity.
That would be a great Christmas present to help consumers balance their budgets.
Viv Forbes, BScApp, FAusIMM
Rosewood Qld Australia